Toxic Food for Dogs
When you welcome a dog into your home, they very quickly become included in your family’s every day routine. It can be hard to resist those ‘puppy dog eyes’ but when it comes to sharing = meals with your furry friend there are some everyday foods that can be dangerous or fatal for your pup!
Onions, leeks, garlic and chives are all flavour filled members of the Allium Family and part of many tasty meals BUT these are dangerous for dogs. Members of this group of foods can cause blood cell damage and serious tummy problems. Particularly Garlic which is 5 times more toxic for your furry friend and can cause anaemia in dogs. Signs of poisoning by a member of the Allium family are not always immediate so monitor your dog carefully if you think he may have eaten something he shouldn’t.
These are part of the Protaceae family and can cause vomiting, high temperatures, lethargy and can affect mobility. They can also effect on your dog’s nervous system. Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!
It’s not just a myth – chocolate really is poisonous for dogs. Theobromine, a caffeine like molecule in chocolate increase blood flow to the brain and your pup will unable to process this toxin. Consumption of chocolate can result in kidney vomiting, seizures, heart and kidney problems and worse. If your pup eats some chocolate call your vet immediately!
Not toxic but can irritate dog’s mouths and cause vomiting. It can also lead to choking and breathing issues if inhaled.
Raisins & Grapes
These are poisonous to dogs but at the moment we aren’t 100% sure what substance within raisins or grapes is harmful. Consumption of a large amount of either can cause renal failure!
While avocado might be your go-to brunch option this is not to be shared by your pooch on any occasion. Persin in avocado can cause vomiting and diarrhoea.
This is an artificial sweetener found in many things that we eat particularly those low-fat, diet and sugar free treats. While Xylitol is a great sugar replacement for humans, it can cause your dog’s pancreas to release a tonne of insulin which decreases blood sugar levels and can cause liver failure. Make sure to check the ingredients on anything you plan to share with your dog.
Even a small amount of alcohol can be very dangerous for your dog. It will cause intoxication and lead to upset stomach, diarrhoea and damage to their central nervous system. If you want to include your furry friend in a celebration look for some dog friendly and alcohol free fizz, beer or wine.
This is more of a choking hazard issue than a worry about toxicity. Nuts are a great source of protein however so while some must be avoided your dog can eat cashews. These are packed with Calcium, Magnesium and antioxidants PLUS are lower in fat than some other nuts. Make sure you chose unsalted cashews of course!
Cooked Bones & Rawhide Bones
Rawhide Bones are popular and great to helping clean your pup’s teeth but be aware that your dog could break off a large piece and choke. Cooked Bones can splinter and block airways, pierce their mouth or their gut (this would be fatal).
Your pup will enjoy sharing your meat leftovers but gristle is best thrown away as he will struggle to chew through tougher sections and this may results in choking.
If your dog consumes any of these foods, even small amounts they can be fatal so always act immediately and take your dog to the vet.
Check out some of our other Health related posts